Sunday, March 15, 2009

Learning from a 92 year old man

Today I had an awesome opportunity to sit and listen to a 92 year old man reflect on his life for 2 hours. It was incredible to hear him talk about 3 centuries. He started telling about his dad, who was born in 1879. He was born in 1916. We talked about the Great Depression, what education was like then, work conditions, how he grew from nothing into growing a great business with Pepsi. We only got to about 1974 in his life and we even skipped WWII, where he spent 2 years in Guam! I saw his original social security card...he even carried that in Guam!

I am excited to continue the conversation and listen to more of his stories. Things I learned today:
  1. Always be honest with people. L. A. told the story of his father being careful to count for every nickel and for a person he worked for to be honest with every ear of corn they picked. He had the opportunity with his business to be honest when the bank gave him too much money for a check.
  2. Love. He married not because of love but because he wanted to get a girl out of a bad situation where she was a bar keep. Everyone tells us to marry for love. He grew to love his wife deeply; however, he just wanted her to have a better life. Interesting story.
  3. Money is not the answer. L. A. started with nothing and ended up with a lot of money. His business grew and grew, but that is not what matters in life. Relationships are what matters.
  4. Don't let the times outgrow you. L. A. is one of the biggest supporters of the youth in our church. He doesn't let the fact that they worship in a different way than him hamper his love for young people who love the Lord.
I hope to be living a life well lived where I can share the awesomeness of God when I'm 92.

No comments:

Post a Comment